Apr 14, 2009

Wounded Souls

This morning my ex-father-in-law went home to be with the Lord. Finally, he will be in peace and reunited with his wife and other family members.

The first poem I ever had published was based on an experience with him. Before he died, he agreed to have me post the poem here.

Rest in peace, I'll see you again!

WOUNDED SOULS

I wonder how long we walk through life

Until we understand that everyone has a story?

So quick to judge when someone hurts us--

When someone lashes out, we struggle with our reactions

A friend told me once that, "Hurt people, hurt people"

And I know this to be true.

I guess until we examine the wound

Within every soul, we really don't know.

Those who suffer abuse or live with pain

Those who are belittled and humiliated

Those who are bullied and broken

All because a wounded soul, wounded them.

But how long must the cycle continue?

Someone is hurt, so they have the right to hurt you?

There are so many people that suffer

Abandonment and rejection and shame

Wounded souls crying out in the night

So I think we have an obligation, really

To learn about each other's stories

To be patient with each other's pain

My wound is not your wound

But because I have suffered wounds of my own

I need to understand what lies deep within you

May not be so different from what I have felt

Never, ever having to accept abuse or injustice

Rather, standing up with courage in the face of wrong

But still, keeping compassion within my own heart

To understand your story that unfolds bit by bit before me

To understand that your dreams may be long gone

That tragedy may have affected you or someone you love

Or maybe you didn't have the privilege of knowing real love

And disappointment and hurt have followed your heart around

I suppose we can all take part in wounding each other's fragile souls

Of feeding the darkness and the pain--

But it seems if we are called to walk in the light

To offer signs of hope and love and forgiveness

We need to find a way to be the instrument of peace

And help to heal each wounded soul.



3 comments:

KelliGirl said...

Jerry,
I am so sorry for the passing of your father-in-law. I know you helped make his final days much more meaningful and spirit-filled. What a precious treasure you were to him.

Your poem is amazingly heartfelt. I am going to come back when I'm not so tired and give another leisurely reading. You have captured the essence of the human condition. We're all wounded souls looking for healing. And only Jesus can heal us in the way that sets us free.

Love you my friend,
Kelli

Susie Merchant said...

Jerry,

Thank you so much for sharing this with the group last night. It was an enlightening reading and everyone was moved by it. I know how much you gave of yourself over the past month to John and his family and that you helped many of them to deepen their own faith.
You are a rock and a blessing.
Love,
Susie

Paula said...

I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your father in law. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.