Dec 5, 2012

Letting Advent Fill My Soul

When I think of Advent
I think of taking a walk to the creek
On the farm where I grew up--
A very favorite thing to do!

As you began to walk
Each step would reveal
A little more of the masterpiece--
The full picture of the sky,
The field, the harvested corn stalks
The shadows, the light

And that is what the Advent journey
Needs to be like for me
Taking one step at a time
Silently breathing deeply, taking it all in

Because I don't need the whirlwind
Of the parties, the decorating, the gift buying
Quite as much as I need to quiet my soul
And to wait for the Savior to be born again

It is in the quiet
In the pure solace
That I can sense the rhythms
Within my soul

I am in tune with the hunger
And thirst I have for that Savior
Who changes the world
And changes my heart

And I don't want to rush to the manger
For I need to make room and a way
For the one who knows every part of me
To live fully in my heart and to change my soul

Come, Lord Jesus.

No comments: