Mar 2, 2009

Worship and Wonder

I have such a deep appreciation for worship. I was fortunate to have some really amazing teachers in my family and in ministry as God called me deeper to understanding and appreciating true worship. There are so many facets of worship. And Lent, for me, is good time to once examine corporate and personal worship in my life...making sure always that the One who never leaves me is the one who deserves all the glory.


IF NOT FOR THE WONDER

True worship...the response we bring,

Holy God, through eyes of faith,

We see a magnificent picture painted

Of Your strong and beautiful character.

In Your holiness we hear your voice of truth that we seek,

Our hearts are lifted in devotion,

Desiring to give you honor and glory.

When we behold the mystery and delight in your majesty,

With hearts open, genuine worship thrives on wonder.

We can adore and value others without a sense of awe,

But cannot worship and honor you without the revelation of wonder.

The highest mountain peak and widest canyon depths

Are just an echo to your unfathomable, immeasurable, infinite splendor.

Your strength and power ar beyond our comprehension,

Like the widest horizon, so matchless is your love and grace,

far beyond our understanding.

Yet, you don't NEED our worship,

but you LOVE our worship.

Your delight in heartfelt offerings of the deepest parts of ourselves--

Everything we could offer You, has first been provided by You.

Yet, there is joy of the loving Father poured out on His cherished children.

We come in awe to respond to your faithfulness and righteousness.

We draw close to you, our God, praising you, in light of the cross.

We cannot enter worship on our own goodness,

but THROUGH Jesus and WITH Jesus and IN Jesus

We honor the gift: your ways and your thoughts are higher than we could ever imagine

And we worship in endless wonder


1 comment:

KelliGirl said...

"Endless wonder," indeed! This is beautiful, Jerry. Dan and I visited a new church on Sunday and experienced worship in a way I'm still touched by it.

You captured so beautifully the heart of worship. Well done!

I also loved your poem on Lent. Since our conversation on Lent, I've been spending more time pondering the season...and my response.

Blessings, my friend,
Kelli