Jun 10, 2009

When the Soul Grows Through Loss

Loss always brings grief--

Sometimes loss is life-altering

Sometimes it's less intense
Sometimes the onset sudden
Sometimes it comes quietly and slowly
Like the night falling on the distant horizon


For so long I was afraid to dream my dreams
So aware that my life had taken twists and turns
That I had never though would happen to me
So I tucked my dreams away deep inside myself


But I found new joy as I found such peace
As I discovered my dreams again
Making the passions of my soul soar
Experiencing this innate God-given joy inside


Greeting the darkness with an assurance
That the light will shine again
Starting as a small spark, a glow, a glimmer
Giving way to the light to shine brightly


Even through grief and suffering
Realizing the soul grows through loss
Knowing now that dreams are meant to dream
But God's dreams may be much different than mine


Realizing the depth of loss
Means there was a depth of love
And that can never be viewed
As anything less than a pure gift


Trusting God--the One who never leaves
To walk through the storms
To reshape, reform, renew
Through grace that transforms


Forcing me to come to the end of myself
To find the new beginning again--
Growing in my deepest spirtual self
Living out the innate joy inside
Striving to live compassion in the world
So aware of the gift of simple blessings

Grateful for each day
Joyful for what was
Thankful for what is
Hopeful for what is yet to be

1 comment:

KelliGirl said...

Jerry,
Each of your poems goes deeper and deeper. You're delving the depths of your soul and coming up with spiritual treasures. I can see you roots of faith growing ever deeper, anchoring you in the Almighty, holidng you firm and keeping you safe.

"Realizing the depth of loss
Means there was a depth of love
And that can never be viewed
As anything less than a pure gift"

Beautiful! I never thought of loss and love this way. The love we have in our lives, however brief, is a heaven-sent gift.

I'm praying for you...for your trip...and your treatments.

Go in peace, my friend.

Love,
Kelli