Jan 3, 2009

Gift of the Red Bird



Driving early in the morning to a park not far from my home the frigid temperatures have set in. I take in the picture I'm driving into: I notice how almost all the leaves are gone now. Those that remain are crunchy and brown. The sky is a winter sky and the sun rises slowly. It is easier to see through the woods, since the brush doesn't impair my view. But I am taken by a light covering of freshly fallen snow. All is silent and the sun peaks through the trees, but it is noticeably still. Winter may not be my favorite season, but it is still full of charm.



Before long a cardinal appears on the fence in front of me -- a female with it's gray-brown coloring, but red beak. Within a few minutes the male appears. The splendor of its color is breathtaking and seeing him perch on a snowy branch is a gift.



I love how God appears and makes His presence known in nature. It really makes me take notice. It really helps me be aware of the all of the wonder that surrounds us and how small we are in the majesty of the universe.



Last year, I had the privilege of reading a book call "Gift of the Red Bird" by Paula D'Arcy. It is a poignant, truthful moving story of a woman's journey grief and a spiritual awakening of sorts to God's presence.



She shares, "Our journeys are evolutions. I recognize the importance of seeing. If my "seeing" does not expand, neither does my faith. Any fear which limits seeing is costly. It is essential to seek vision and create enough silence in one's life to listen to God. I am aware of most of the freedom, beauty and joy I have found required risk in order to find the next truths God was revealing. You cannot be safe and see. You must choose."



These thoughts were so meaningful and having my own encounter with the red bird on a snowy winter morning is signficiant. God wants me to see and to listen and to be aware of His Presence. And He wants me to respond.



As I become more aware, more sensitive on this journey of faith and life, I want to give glory to God for each moment...because they are all so significant. I just know I want to see more red birds on snowy branches. And when I do, I want to remember who to thank for the amazing gift of life.




No comments: