Dec 5, 2008

CHILD-LIKE FAITH


I had the unbelievable privilege of growing up on a farm in Allentown, NJ. It truly was there--through the beautiful creation around me, through the bonds of family, that I began to sense God and know of His goodness. I couldn't have asked for a more tranquil, fun, loving childhood--and especially setting to become the child of God I was meant to be.


In my memory, I keep snapshots of photographs in my mind--memories, special times, events, special words that I remember in my mind, but tuck away in my heart. The picture is one of a little girl, blond hair flowing in a ponytail walking hand in hand with her Dad through the cut down rows of corn that had already been harvested. The picture is especially beautiful in my mind's eye. The sun is setting on a fall day, a blazing orange sky with fingers of sunlight shining through trees that tower with leaves of red and gold on the edge of the field they line.


But it is not the beauty of the scenery that strikes me most, but maybe that's because I can recall the heart of the picture I carry. If you draw in closely it is the connection between a girl and her dad that creates the splendor of the moment for me. The way her green eyes fix upon her father's face and the gentle way he smiles back that causes such joy at the memory. Because the picture reminds me of something greater on this journey of faith. It is assurance, conviction and belief of a priceless gift: child-like faith.


There is something special about the simplicity of children. The way they love passionately, laugh contagiously and seethe world through eyes of awe and wonder. It was easy to love my Dad as a little girl. He was (and is, in many ways) my hero. He always had time for us, make adventures with us from the ordinary to the extraordinary, to laugh with us, to listen to us. And always, always loved us. I could trust him. He was my anchor. And my world felt safer because he was there to protect us.


What a wonderful model and example to understand and fathom the love of a heavenly father, given the gift of the earthly father I was blessed with. Through trials, hard times, joys and triumphs I have learned what it is to be loved unconditionally by a God who never leaves, who walks with me through every moment and has also paid the greatet sacrifice by the blood of the Cross. God wants me to be faithful and give all of myself in that child-like faith. We live in a world where commitment come an dgo. It is easier sometimes to walk away from keeping a promise, giving your word, reaching out and remaining true and authentic.

I want my faith and love for God to be that life-giving, life-enhancing, deeply immeasurable joy, that I had as a child. I want to love and serve God with passion and zest everyday. I like the photograph I hold in my heart and mind. It reminds me of who I was created to be. It reminds me that the delight and excitement of loving and being loved by a God who is so much greater than my own circumstance, deserves every part of me.

The words to "Faith Like a Child" by Jars of Clay really speak deeply to me and remind me of this childhood memory. But more remind me of the passion within me that I want to use to bring glory to God.


Dear god,

surround me as I speak,

The bridges that I walk across are weak

Frustrations fill the void that I cant solely bear

Dear god, dont let me fall apart,

Youve held me close to you

I have turned away and searched for answers I cant understand

They say that I can move the mountains

And send them falling to the sea

They say that I can walk on water

If I would follow and believe

With faith like a childSometimes, when I feel miles away

And my eyes cant see your faceI

wonder if I've grown to lose the recklessness

I walked in light of yo

Ive got joy like a fountain!

Be kind one to others

In Jesus Christ your sonT

hey say that love can heal the broken

They say that hope can make you see

They say that faith can find a savior

If you would follow and believe

With faith like a child


I may not always love and serve like that, but if I am constantly striving, I know I'm moving in the direction of child-like faith. And that gives me hope. Follow and believe. With faith like a child.



But Jesus said, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children.” Matthew 19:14


No comments: