Nov 26, 2008

Welcome to Eyes of Faith - A Grateful Heart

This is my first post on this newly designed blog. I hope you will find words of encouragement, challenges in faith and just sharing and awakening to God's love in the ordinary moments of life.

A Grateful Heart

I started keeping a gratitude journal just as I was turning 30. But the journal became more necessary to my life, and to my faith walk when my husband left. There was a scripture God was putting on my heart pretty regularly: Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not put out the Spirit's fire. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-19 (New International Version).

During those first months of turmoils, separation, anguish and betrayal I was hard-pressed to be joyful or to give thanks. Until I began seeing through eyes of faith. I realized that focusing inward instead of outward and that healing had to occur slowly and love and forgiveness was to follow, but not on my terms. But it was then that my faith took hold and this idea of gratitude really began to take root inside my soul.

I found gratitude wasn't just a simple "thank you" whispered for a good deed, but it was an act of mercy, a way of life and a gift I couldn't put my finger. As I began to heal and God began to touch me so deeply, my melting heart began to experience moments of gratitude. I could feel this movement all around me of friends who wouldn't leave me, of family who stood beside me with acts of grace, and a God who continued to pour out his blessing over me as His child, a woman, a mother, a daughter, a sister, a friend.

Acknowledging and expressing gratitude--for little moments and big ones began to show me just how great a God I served. Slowly, I became alive again and actual started writing because of journaling my gratitude to God and all his blessings. The gift of gratitude has revealed a heart of joy -- even in the toughest circumstance.

In her book, "How Can I See the Light When It's So Dark?" by Linda Douty she shares that “An authentic thankful heart involves a kind of joy and acceptance of life—not necessarily approval or condoning, and certainly not fatalism, but a stalwart look at realities or past events we can’t change.” The author reminds us that we must dare to believe that the journey to a thankful heart is a trip worth taking. And she helps us navigate the bridges of gratitude.

Happy Thanksgiving -- with a grateful heart -- to the one who deserves all the glory!


1 comment:

Susie Merchant said...

Congratulations, Jerry, on your big step! I know you will inspire many provocative discussions and help people to see Christ and his love for us. I look forward to reading many more blogs and experiencing greater understanding of His love through your eyes. God surely blesses your willingness to share yourself with us.
Love,
Susie